The Graduate School of Science (GSS) Botanical Gardens are available upon a written request for the purposes of: 1) research or education; or 2) observing or photographing the garden plants.
1) To use the gardens for research or educational purposes
- Kyoto University (KU) students to obtain their academic supervisor's signature or stamp on the form.
- Non-KU students/personnel to obtain their hosting KU faculty member's signature or stamp on the form.
In requesting permission and using the gardens, please:
- State the purpose, plan, method, location and period of use as accurately as possible.
- Pinpoint the trees or exact location using this garden map.
- Specify the species and number to be sampled; state whether or not you are bringing living organisms to the gardens (some conditions may apply).
- Submit the request form to the office two weeks in advance of use, either in person or by (campus) mail. Email is NOT acceptable.
- Be aware that you may be asked to further elaborate on your request by email or to the garden steering committee.
- Prior to use, ask the office whether or not permission is granted (some conditions may apply); obtain your permit and keep it until conclusion of use.
- Tag each tree or location with your permit reference number, name and contact details as well as the period of use; remove all tags after use.
- Request permission every academic year (April through March).
- Refrain from eating, drinking or smoking in the gardens.
- Submit a reprint of each publication resulted from the use, if any, to the office.
- Note that failing to submit this report or demonstrate the outcomes of use may lead to restrictions imposed on your next requests.
2) To visit the gardens to observe or photograph the plants
- The gardens are NOT designed to serve casual visitors.
- Non-KU students/personnel are required to specify the KU faculty member hosting your visit.
- Unaccompanied minors under 15 may NOT enter the gardens.
- Due caution should be taken to prevent accidents in the gardens.
In requesting permission and visiting the gardens, please:
- Submit the form in person or by (campus) mail to the office two weeks in advance. Email is NOT acceptable.
- Prior to your visit, ask the office whether or not permission is granted; obtain your permit and present it if asked during your visit.
- Request permission for each visit.
- Limit the number of visitors to 30 at a time.
- Limit the length of a visit to three hours.
- The gardens are NOT open to visitors on Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays and other KU non-business days.
- Visiting hours are from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Refrain from sampling/bringing living organisms in/to the gardens, respectively.
- Refrain from disturbing studies underway in the gardens, or you may be asked to leave.
- Follow the garden path; refrain from walking into the woods or ponds.
- Refrain from smoking or build a fire in the gardens; no eating or drinking either.
GSS Division of Biological Sciences administrative office
Phone: 075-753-4090 (ext 4090)
Email: jimu[at]biol.sci.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Replace [at] with @.)
Office hours: Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm